Starting School in Reception
Christopher Reeves prides itself on its transition schedule and strives to ensure that there is a smooth transition between the school and previous educational settings. Please see below all transition processes that take place in order to ensure all children have a smooth transition into Reception:
- New parent’s Information Evening
- A Stay and Play session - The child and their parent will spend part of the morning in Reception with the current Reception pupils.
- A Transition Day - the child and their parent will have a chance to explore the Reception environment and to meet other children and their parents who will also be starting in September.
- A Home Visit - Before the child starts school in September, the child’s class teacher and another member of the Reception team will make a home visit. This is an opportunity for everyone to meet to get to know each other better and a chance for the parent to ask any questions they have regarding school life.
- Staggered Start Dates - When a child starts school with us in Reception, they start on a full time basis. To give all the children an opportunity to settle into their new surroundings, we start the children in small groups. This ensures that everyone has a chance to settle in during their first days at school.
Transitioning to Secondary Education
We have good links with the local secondary schools. Most of our pupils transition to Sharnbrook Academy or Wollaston School at the end of Year 6.
We ensure there is a comprehensive handover of information so that the receiving school has a good understanding of your child's education so far.
As part of the transition programme, the pupils have a chance to visit their new school and there are often visits from one of the teachers to see the pupils in their primary setting.