Christian Vision & Values
Christopher Reeves is one of the first of a small number of schools in the UK and around the world to have achieved the Values Quality Mark (held since March 2010). As a church school we firmly believe in the importance of a values-led curriculum which puts good relationships at the heart of our school community and continues to underpin the drive to improve standards. As a result there is a calm and purposeful feel in the school, which visitors often comment on.
Our core values have evolved in consultation with staff, governors, parents and children. They reflect our Christian foundation, and are linked explicitly with the teachings of the Bible: Love, Hope, Trust, Community, Thankfulness, Peace, Courage, Forgiveness, Service/Stewardship, Compassion, Justice.
We have a two year rolling programme of Values and each half term we focus on one value across the school. Children are given opportunities in a range of contexts ( during worship, in lessons, at lunchtimes, and after school clubs) to explore what the current value means for them in their daily lives as well as understand its context in relation to the Bible.
We celebrate those children who have demonstrated the ability to live their values in school as well as in their home lives, communicating these successes through our weekly celebration assemblies, and in regular newsletters home.
Living our Values
Our School Vision
We care passionately about our school community being able to Live out their values whilst being able to enjoy achieving and developing as confident, caring citizens of the future. This involves a knowledge rich curriculum in which pupils flourish spiritually, creatively and academically.
“Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid, do not be discouraged, for the Lord, your God, will be with you wherever you go."
Our Federation Vision
We are part of the Chellington Federation where Everyone is valued as an individual and helped to develop and progress in their own unique way within a Christian environment. The Federation vision, ‘Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel.’ is at the core of our Federation. The Chellington Federation’s vision is: 'Happiness through Wisdom'.
“There is gold and a multitude of rubies; but the lips of knowledge are a precious jewel.”
Ethos of the School
Recognising its historic foundation, the school will preserve and develop its religious character in accordance with the principles of the Church of England and in partnership with the Church at parish and diocesan level. The school aims to serve its community by providing an education of the highest quality within the context of Christian belief and practice. It encourages an understanding of the meaning and significance of faith, and promotes Christian values through the experience it offers to all its pupils. The first few years spent at school are among the most formative of a child’s life. At Christopher Reeves we try to ensure that children get the best possible start to their school career in a friendly, family environment. Children get a sense of belonging while being able to express their own individuality.
The Aim of the School
Our overall aim is to provide a happy, secure, stimulating environment in which every child can achieve their academic success and develop the necessary personal skills they need for their future. We believe that this will be achieved with the close involvement of pupils, parents, staff, governors and the local and wider community.
To provide children with:
- an education of the highest quality within the context of Christian values and beliefs
- a learning environment where they can achieve their full academic potential
- the skills they need to achieve physical and emotional wellbeing
- the skills they need to build good relationships and become caring citizens who are able to live and work with others
- opportunities to make a positive contribution to each other, the school, and the wider community
We will achieve our objectives by:
- Creating and sustaining a caring Values-based ethos where positive behaviour and attitudes are rewarded and celebrated
- Developing and sustaining a staff team who feel valued and are committed to high expectations and the raising of standards
- Providing an inclusive environment which enables all children to access the curriculum
- Ensuring that the correct support and challenge is in place for all children to be able to gain the necessary academic and personal skills they will need for the future
- Providing a stimulating environment where children feel safe and are able to make choices, take risks and develop independence
- Encouraging and celebrating difference in our local, national and global community through links with a range of partners
- Familiarising children with an understanding of the nature of Christian worship and that of other faiths